Poor hubby was not planning to do a DIY project over New Years but he reluctantly started hauling old Sheetrock out to the garbage, and he was invested.
It was icky. The mold alone makes my stomach churn.
We washed it all off, put up more plastic sheeting, and bought cement backerboard just before the stores closed for the holiday weekend.
Hubby put up backerboard, while I took the kids to a nearby hotel to get them out of his hair. And to take a shower.
When the stores reopened after the holiday, we bought porcelain tile and started hanging it, even though we had about half a clue what we were doing.
I wanted to re-use the old faucet, so I soaked it in vinegar over night, trying to remove the hard water scale. Instead, it removed some of the chrome, so that was a no-go. But I still shined the knobs, and we found a replacement faucet at the hardware store.
Some friends from church had a tile saw, and let us come over and use it, although with the outside temperatures at 19° and dropping, we had a hard time keeping the wet saw from freezing.
As it was, we had to melt ice off the tiles before we could install them.
The next problem to be solved was the faucets. We ended up just having to buy a hole saw with a diamond blade, and created our own mini wet-drill in the bathroom.
We got the holes cut, and miraculously we had measured correctly so they were in the right spot.
Next came grout and our anniversary. We took a shower down at Hubby's gym, and went out to dinner.
Next came caulking and installing the newly-shined old knobs, and actually new shiny spout.
A little patch on the wall by each end of the tub was water damaged. We fixed the flow problems and patched the wall.
Tomorrow, we'll caulk and paint around the edges, seal the grout, paint the wall, and best of all, take a shower!
Updated: final pics!
(Oh yeah. Clean up...)