Saturday, May 7, 2016

Mother's Day Project Weekend

For Mother's Day, I wanted to have time at the cabin to work on projects. Specifically, I wanted to build an outhouse. 

 

 

I bought a bunch of recycled lumber at our local Habitat store. Then I drew plans and did a lot of math to design the structure. 

 

Before we got going on the outhouse, hubby and I worked on building two swings for the kids. We finished one, and decided to do the other one tomorrow. 

 

For lunch, we built a campfire in the new fire ring and grilled burgers. Those sure hit the spot during a day of hard work!

 

Hubby and I spent the rest of the afternoon deep in construction. This was by far the largest project I've tackled myself, and Hubby hasn't done a lot of construction work. 

 

 

Once the frame was finished, we turned the kids loose with paint. They did a great job painting the outhouse!

 

We installed the roof and hung the door. Inside, a reinforced platform with a real toilet seat makes things comfy. 

Tomorrow, we'll finish installing the roof and do a few finish details. 

I know it sounds weird that I'm absolutely thrilled to build an outhouse for Mother's Day, but that's just me. I love to make things, and I love our cabin. 

No comments:

Post a Comment