Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Baby Steps

It's been five months since Abi's surgery. Seven or eight months of pretty intense PTSD behaviors. Her therapist told me that if she was my only child and I had no other household, homeschooling or work duties, I'd STILL be exhausted by her intense neediness. That made me feel a little better, since I was wondering if there was something wrong with me that I was so worn out. 



Little by little, we are seeing improvement. Her therapist is helping quite a bit, giving her tools to manage the  PTSD flares that seem to come many, many times a day. Time is a healer too. Once, a friend who also has prosthetic eyes said it took about a year to feel normal again after her surgeries, which reminded me that I just need to give her time to heal.

We try to go out together. Sometimes Abi lasts five minutes before she flips out. Sometimes she lasts an hour or two. Thankfully, Hubby doesn't mind coming and picking her up and taking her to work with him. One thing she will do is sit quietly, since her form of freaking out is shutting down. 

It's working out to have her sit quietly with Daddy and listen to books on tape when she is having a bad day. I'm hoping, hoping, hoping that the bad days get fewer, for her sake. But if they don't, we'll manage. That's just what we do. :)



1 comment:

  1. Erin - apparently, my daughter was logged in on my computer and I didn't realize it. IF you could read my previous comment, but NOT approve it for public viewing, I would appreciate it since it has her name on it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete