Thursday, February 12, 2015

Surgery

This week was Abi's surgery. Needed, intense, stressful, difficult... yet as with all of life there were moments of laughter too. 

Because I kept everyone updated on Facebook, I decided to just re-post those here, with a few extra pictures. 

The thing I can't copy here are the hundreds of comments from friends who were praying for us, encouraging us, crying with us. I'm so grateful for all of them!

Tuesday
3:45 pm

Dear hospital, it was so nice of you to call and insist on a complete medical history just as I was trying to pick Natta up from school, get her and Seth the rest of the way packed and talk to our friend who is babysitting as she picked them up. That wasn't stressful AT ALL... ‪#‎SarcasmAlert‬


6:30 pm


Hotel room! Popcorn and Cartoon Network and a front desk clerk who thought our name was Jetson.



6:45 pm



Cody: "I'm the eye doctor. Let me check your eye."

Abi: "How's it look?"

Cody: "Eat some popcorn. That'll help."

Abi: "The real eye doctor is not gonna say that."

Cody: "Looks like it's gonna have to come out."

Abi: "Let's take it out. Or we can leave it in to see. Let's pretend I can see."

Cody: "Let's breakdance."

Abi: "Ok! Let's breakdance!"

‪#‎DoctorWithADHD‬ ‪#‎PatientWithADHD‬



Wednesday
10 am

So far, so good. 



1. presents EARLY in the morning. We were up at 6:30. 



2. Playing during initial check-in. 



3. Talking to the nurse during check-in. 

So far the nurses have been mediocre. Glad we didn't get them the first few times around!

One went on and on about how she couldn't find our information in the computer. The next one kept asking to touch my kids' hair (does she ask to touch white kids' hair too?). 

And our name has changed from Jetson to Jenson. 



4. A snuggle from Daddy and ready to go back. 



5. Cody and Daddy building a Lego car while we wait.  
According to Matthew Jepsen, for a parent, a child's sixth surgery is 20% emotional distress and 80% boredom.

She should be done around 10:30.

11:30 am

Out of surgery. The Dr says it was the biggest most swollen eye he has ever seen and it was totally the right decision to remove it. 

Right now she is in extreme pain and can't stop crying. They are going to admit her until they can get the pain managed. Morphine isn't helping. 

1 pm

They moved Abi into a room on the Children's wing. They also gave her versed and another painkiller that I'm blanking on the name (Matt was there) so she is calmer. 

Cody and I had lunch and found a play room across the hall from Abi's room.


1:20 pm

Just resting. 

Daddy's getting lunch. I have a headache. No sleep, early call, stress, fluorescent lights and dry air will do that. 

Trying to keep Cody busy. 

If Abi's pain stays under control and if she can drink and walk a few steps, we can still go home tonight. Fingers crossed. 






2:45 pm


Abi, touching her bandage: "I sure wish this didn't have to happen to me."

Me too, Baby.

3 pm

I read Abi a bunch of your comments. She said, "There are a lot of people who love me and are praying to heal me." It really cheered her up. 

The staff are making noises about discharging us soon. Yay. 

4:20 pm



Flying the coop! Headed home. :)

8 pm
We are home. Abi's barfing up her toenails though. Gonna be a long night.
Thursday
8:30 am


Doing a little better this morning. By not having her sit up, I was able to get a full 5ml dose of Hydrocodone into her: 1 mL every ten minutes with a little bit of cracker and drink of Apple juice. Encouraging that she kept that down. It appears that sitting up or standing up contributes to the nausea, along with the anesthesia and morphine they gave her yesterday, which should be out of her system pretty soon. 

Now she just needs to rest and let her body heal. Lots of radio dramas and narrated movies!
10:30 am


Abi's doing MUCH better! She was able to keep the pain meds down, so they could work. She also got the pressure bandage off, and said that helped some of the pain go away. She is talking a lot more and moving around more and seems more herself. 

Her eye is stitched closed for a week. Right now, that is her biggest concern. "I don't want people to laugh at me that my eyes can't open." I assured her that no one would laugh.

Now, 5 pm



She's been laying around all day, but obviously doing better and better. She's taken all of her meds and is talking and playing with her toys. 

Like last time, I expect her recovery from here to be swift. And... we never have to do this again!!! Hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment