Monday, July 21, 2014

Typical [low viz] Morning

I was kind of chuckling at us this morning. My life is such a funny mix of using the visual and non-visual. After a very visual post about yesterday where I was painting faces, this morning I was doing a lot of things non-visually. Still, in the long run, being a parent with a vision impairment is exactly like being a parent with perfect vision. 

But with a few twists. 

I mean, starting out with coffee is fairly standard. 


Piles of laundry waiting to be folded. That's pretty much a given, too. Most of us do that. 


But sitting down to read a ministry newsletter... in Braille. Not everyone does that. 

(Usually I read with two hands. I just had the camera in one.)


The kids were playing with a tactile map produced for blind kids. I think they assume every family has cool toys like this.


And in an absurdly typical burst of low-vision absent-mindedness, I set my phone down to help Bean with something, and immediately lost it. With gritted teeth, I searched all over the house, retracing all the places I could think of with no luck. I was reminded again how useless my vision often is. 

(Yes, I know everyone does this. But Hubby can find something with a visual sweep in about 30 seconds. Meanwhile, I'm wandering around peering at different parts of the table top or performing a search pattern on the floor that would make Military Intelligence proud.)

At last, I found it on the arm of the chair. 


Once I found it, I used it to play some music, because it's time to go start shoveling out the schoolroom. 


A friend and I went shopping all morning on Saturday. I was grateful for both the ride and the company. We both bought school supplies. Which means I have to find new homes for all the new stuff. 

In general, it sounds like a pretty standard Monday morning, doesn't it? 

I figure that it doesn't matter whether I do things visually or non-visually, as long as they get done. At the training center, the teachers talked about efficiency. Use whatever works best. For me, that includes thinking non-visually a lot, since vision is unreliable and often painful. Over the years, I've learned to git 'er done in all sorts of non-visual ways. 

For me, it works fine. 







No comments:

Post a Comment