Friday, June 13, 2014

Little Mister Learns Patience

Little Mister ordered a toy online with his allowance money. So did his sisters. The toys were Mameshiba (beandog) toys that are little beanbags with an anime face. 

The first one came from Soldier last fall, and they have been collecting them ever since. 


A month ago, they placed their order. The girls got what they ordered, but when we opened Little Mister's package, it was not a Beandog at all, but a little coin purse. 

He cried. I almost cried too. 

Of all my children, Mister is the most detail oriented and the least patient with things not going as planned. I can relate. It's a weakness of mine that I've struggled hard to overcome. I saw this as an opportunity for him to grow, but I also knew that to leave it unfixed would communicate a cold unfeeling attitude that would push him away from me. While I don't want to spoil him or make him think he's entitled, I do want to show him that I care about the things he cares about. 

He and I had a long talk about choosing to be cheerful when things go wrong. He listened, and I didn't hear another word of complaint. 

I called customer service at goHastings, and as expected, got the runaround. Nobody (older than seven) cares about a $6 toy. 

We decided to order another one from a different seller. I offered to add another one, called Chili Bean, onto the order of Black Bean to reward his patience and good attitude for waiting. 

When they came, there was a Black Bean and a TIGER BEAN. No Chili. 

He did not cry, but the look in his eyes broke my heart.

To me, this was a $6 toy. To him, it was a future pet. A child.

The look reminded me of the way I felt when we were due to bring Abi home and she was very nearly sent to another family instead. 

I called customer service with Mom's Toy Attic. To my surprise, they graciously apologized, and offered to send a Chili Bean to us with no extra charge. Tiger we could keep. 

Mister gave Tiger to Curly, and to his delight, Chili came in a few days. 

I wrote a nice review on their seller's page. 


One of my privileges as a mom is to care that the $6 toy that came in the mail is red instead of yellow. I can tell Little Mister that I love him over and over, but helping him learn to be patient when mistakes are made, but still caring to find the one he chose, made a deeper impression. 

One of the times I felt the most loved by my dad was when I lost a toy, a bean bag frog that I loved, on a trip. He had fallen out of the car beside the road on a quick stop, and I was devastated. My dad drove back along the road late at night and actually found the frog. I remember thinking, even as a young child, that he could so easily have told me to quit crying; it was just a silly toy. But he didn't. 

Small? Yes. Huge? Yes. :)


1 comment:

  1. Something we all need to work at. Being intentional. It's hard sometimes, but well worth it. It is a perfect way to demonstrate love for one another. " hey, I notice how you need to be loved. I notice what really matters. I'm going to love you in a way that might come natural for me but you matter!" Yes. Indeed.

    ReplyDelete