Tuesday, July 13, 2010

I Cleaned My Room

Yes, this is a newsworthy event, folks! For months, my room has been the catch-all place where we dump baby items we're no longer using, coats that never got hung up, or tools from fixing up the bathroom (six months ago!) or the two darling little end tables that Baby Bear managed to pull over with a spectacular crash. For some reason it just got pushed lower and lower on the priority list and I never got around to doing anything about it.

A couple of weeks ago I purchased a new mattress for the bed, so the old one leaned haphazardly against one wall. While I love, love, love the new mattress, I could not stand the chaos it caused in the rest of the room. I'm beginning to really look forward to having a yard sale.



Yesterday that all changed. I dove bravely into a closet piled with junk and pulled everything out. Most of it went directly into the Yard Sale pile. The rest (clean sheets, coats) got put away neatly and then I tackled the rest of the room. At the end, I even made our bed, which almost never happens. Making beds is about as low on the chore priority scale as ironing, which probably makes the more traditional housewives shudder in horror. But hey, just keepin' it real.

When I got done, the room sparkled. With everything in its place the room seemed peaceful and welcoming. My own space. In a way it made me feel good, like I matter enough to have a nice space too. I work so hard to keep the house nice for the rest of the family I have been neglecting my own space. It made me realize that a mom serves her family best when she keeps herself healthy too. I need to do a better job taking care of myself. Sometimes we moms forget to do that, giving all of our time and energy to our ever-demanding families. It's easy to do. But cleaning my room yesterday reminded me that I actually serve them better when I am at my personal best. Having a space of my own (even though technically it belongs to Hubby too) makes me feel just that much better.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you accomplished this! You did great!

    I hope you are having a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete