Monday, June 14, 2010

Donate to Bring Little Sister Home

I have a hard time asking for donations. It goes with my independent personality, I guess. As you can read here, we've had to postpone adopting while we raise money.

The other day we met another family in town who have adopted two Ethiopian children. The four of us sat at a big, wooden table, drinking coffee and sharing our hearts. We were amazed at the way God works in each family. But they said something that has been playing over and over in my head in the weeks following our meeting.

They told me they hadn't wanted to ask for donations or to fund-raise either. But as they went along in the process, they discovered that there are people "out there" who grieve over the plight of the many orphans in Africa, just as we do. There are people who weep over the fact that children have no homes, that they are malnourished and diseased.

Many of these people are not able or equipped to bring an orphan into their own homes or families. But they are still called to help.

If I am describing you, there is a way you can help. You can help us bring an orphan home, give her a mother and father, sister and brothers. A home, a family, food, a bed, medical care, love and a good education. A chance in life. Such a person might, in fact, grow up to change the world. She might go back to Ethiopia someday as a giver, a minister, an open hand. She might stay here in America and raise a family, who are healthy and safe.

The sooner we can raise the money, the sooner we can bring her here, to bring her out of poverty, to complete our family as God has called us to do.

If it's on your heart to help, I put a donation button on the sidebar of my blog. Any amount will help and every cent will go toward the adoption, I promise.

If you are so inclined, you may also help by praying. Pray for Little Sister's health and safety. Pray for us to be able to raise the funds we need as quickly as we can. Pray for the amazing amount of paperwork and red tape we have to negotiate.

Most of all, THANK YOU. Thank you for joining us on our journey!

Love, Erin, Matt, Natalie, Seth and Cody. And Little Sister someday

Edited: August, 2012. Little Sister, also known as Abi, joined our family forever in January! Thanks to the provision of God, her adoption is completely paid for in full, and we owe nothing more. Thanks to all for your prayers and support, and feel free to check the rest of my blog for stories about her future adventures. 

6 comments:

  1. I think it's a beautiful idea. I pray you receive blessings that pour out to go miles further than expected towards her adoption.

    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a wonderful idea too!! I know my old Chi Alpha pastor and his wife have even had fundraiser dinners to help with their adoption.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, the fundraiser dinner idea is a good one!

    I don't know if you have any sale-able talents, but this woman makes and sells dresses to raise money for her adoption. http://itspoppydip.blogspot.com/

    You're probably going to get all kinds of people giving you all kinds of crazy idea so I will shut up now :-P, but you never know ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS - I put your button on my blog. (Not that I generate ANY traffic) but sometimes we ask for charitable donations to me made in lieu of gifts we don't need. That's how we came to know Daniel, a little boy in Indonesia. My mother sponsored him one year for Christmas because our kids really didn't need any more video games. She pays the bills but we get to write all the letters and trade pictures and stuff. WAY more fun that Super Mario!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Erin! And what a great idea having the grandparents sponsor a child for you in lieu of a gift! We are swimming in far too many toys and clothes; it's always such a struggle to think of what to put on the gift list at holidays. I'll keep that one in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying! And I too like the idea of sponsoring over having another "toy" We supported a couple kids over in Bangladesh for some time. Then my kids got older, and got involved in other ways of "helping" May the Lord bless all your endeavors to Bring little sister home.

    ReplyDelete