Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Adventures in Being Me

I've never minded driving off by myself for an hour into the middle of nowhere. Normally, I like getting away from civilization. But civilization has its positive points, as I discovered.



Today the kids and I went Day Camping.  I love the woods; we live near the woods... I figured it would be "educational" (read: more fun than sitting at home).  We built a campfire together.  Curly Miss seems to be following in my Pyro footsteps as she stood for most of the afternoon poking the fire with a stick.



Little Mister, in an effort to be helpful, spent his time truckin' around our campsite looking for sticks to throw on the fire.



We brought the bee trap from our yard, because I remembered the bees being terrible last year.  Our preparedness was rewarded, however: we did not see a single bee.



The kids fixed a snack.  Curly, who doesn't like peanut butter, absolutely loves to spread the sticky, gooey stuff for her brother.  It's a good system.  She makes a mess and he eats it.



Baby Bear highly approved of Day Camping.  I gave him a stick to look at, then a rock.  He was in tactile heaven.

cute baby in front of very very flat rear tire on the van

There was something in the background of this photo I didn't notice at the time, but I noticed soon afterward.  Do you see it?



Now do you see it?



What the?!?!?!?  Oh CR@P!!!!!  What am I going to do, stuck up here with three little kids and no cell phone service?!?!?!?



Answer: Roaming.  Yes, miraculously I got one single bar of roaming up on an isolated mountain in Northern Idaho, enough to send a quick plea to my Hubby to come rescue us.  (Have you ever seen those Sprint commercials where some dude is up on some isolated mountain, dancing around and gloating over his multiple bars of Sprint service? All Lies.)



Under threat of dire consequences the Goombas sat and were quiet while Hubby and I figured out how to release the spare tire from the Anti-matter forcefield used by Dodge to hold the spare tire in place under the vehicle.



Yep, it was completely hosed.  But my knight in shining armor came through for us. Not only did Hubby change the tire, he brought us food.  Hallelujah!



Time to get outta the woods and back to Les Schwab.  Little Mister fell asleep on the way home and hardly woke up even when I carried him from the car into his bed. I know exactly how he felt.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, quite an adventure! I love the rescue ninja hubby photo. Good memories for everyone, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're taking our first camping trip soon... this is NOT encouraging! Just kidding. It makes for great photos and a funny blog post! : )

    ReplyDelete