Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Eavesdropping

DSC01891

Now that warm and sunny weather fills my back yard, I love to send the kids out there to play. At age 5 and 3, they no longer need constant supervision, but my house doesn't have very many windows that look south into the back yard.

DSC01889

For a while I sent them out there then went to the window in the bathroom every ten minutes, checking to make sure no one had disappeared or was bleeding.

DSC01895

Call me paranoid, but I needed to make sure they stayed safe or my Mommy-radar would go into overdrive.

DSC01892

After a few anxious weeks, I devised a solution. With extension cords and our baby monitor, I have electronic auditory surveillance of the back yard. I sit calmly in my living room feeding the baby or doing chores and listen to their playful chatter.

DSC01893

Since they forget I can hear them, it often becomes a bit comical to listen in on their conversations. Still, I think it makes them feel secure to know that Mom is only a shout away.

DSC01890

No comments:

Post a Comment