I have blogged about several aspects of renovating our bathroom. At last we're done and I can show you the "after" pictures.
To remember what it looked like before I began, here is the "before" post. The main problems were the holes in the walls where the plaster was falling off the lath, the rusty vent cover, the discolored white walls and the outdated light fixtures.
I went with a light blue-gray for the walls and light fixtures with some character, chosen to look like the lanterns on a wharf or a lighthouse.
I replaced the old picture on the wall with an equally old cabinet that matches the 1920's style built-ins. Also, though I did not photograph it, I replaced the rusted vent cover with a new, white one.
As previously pictured, I painted a mural on the wall under the window and fixed all of the holes in the plaster. I also decided to replace the cheapy, plastic towel rods with quality metal ones in a nice, dark contrasting color.
I installed a hook for the kids' towels at a nice, reachable level. Combined with the longer pull-chains on the lights makes the entire room accessible to the kids.
Budget for the project: $150
Total amount spent: about $200. Not bad, considering I bought the antique cabinet, had to replace a quart of paint with the correct color and did not use a mini paint roller I bought (but lost the receipt!) I did save quite a bit by getting the entire towel rod set on clearance for half-price and was also able to paint the whole room in two coats with only one quart of paint.
Hubby commented dryly, "Now the bathroom won't be the armpit of the house. Nice work, Honeybear."
That just about sums it up.