Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Knitting Tips

Although I don't do knitting projects much any more, I used to be an avid knitter. One of the things I taught myself to do was to knit a stockinette stitch more efficiently by not having to turn my work around, just to knit back and forth like a typewriter. I guess a way to describe it is using the English Method right-handed to knit across the row, then the Continental method left-handed to go back instead of purling. A friend of mine was interested in learning to do this so I made her a video last night. If any other knitters out there want to learn, here it is. Enjoy!



Another, more beginner issue is increasing knitting speed. The best way is to learn to throw the yarn without letting go of the right needle. Here's a little tutorial of how to do this.

3 comments:

  1. I love, love, love the idea of not turning your work. I am going to have to try this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never learned to knit,so english please! I would say that that might be something as my sister in the spirit that you could teach me sometime, but since my kids don't like knitted cloth of any kind, it makes their skin itch, I don't think I'd get much use out of it. One thing I do need to relearn is how to sew. I used to sew when I was a kid, so it probably wouldn't take much instruction for me to learn again, before I started remembering how. By the way, how do you do that with Cody in your lap? My kids would have been grabbing the needles and poking themselves in the eye or me in the eye or sticking it up my nose or....Well, you get the idea. Something dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the baby noises! Was that a crackling fire in the background? Such a cozy video. I have no idea what you are talking about with the "turning" and "throwing" and all that, but you do make it look easy.

    ReplyDelete