Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Camera

What mother doesn't dream of owning a camera that not only captures the amazing faces of her beautiful children but also does the dishes? I think every single one of us has drooled over the cameras on Amazon, traded stories of Kodak Moments and gnashed our teeth when a perfectly beautiful expression was ruined because the picture looked grainy or blurry or the battery died.

b100_0748

For years, I used our middle-of-the road point-and-shoot camera, figuring that if I took enough pictures a few would turn out good. I never wanted to invest money in a nicer camera because I didn't think my eyesight was good enough to learn to actually do photography the "professional" way. My sister lent me her nicer camera and I found my photography improving somewhat, but I still didn't think I should bother with a good camera.

b100_0747

More recently, I have been reading blogs like the Blind Photographers and realizing that with advancements in auto-focus and image stabilization, I could probably take some pretty decent pictures. And having kids around provides for an endless array of interesting subjects if you have a quick trigger finger and a camera sitting out handy.


b100_0746

I saved my "fun money" for nearly a year until I had enough amassed to get a good camera. On a trip to faraway Costco, I got one, brought it home and discovered it did not have some of the features I needed to be successful, particularly live preview. So back to Costco it went. Now my piggy bank is full again and I have yet to get a camera. I guess I'm a little nervous.

b100_0745

I need to get on it soon as my sister wants her own camera back and I am not sure I can go back to my little Sony. But I'm not sure what to get and I'm scared to drop that kind of money on something just for myself. Hmmm.....

3 comments:

  1. Have you stopped by Kits Cameras in the mall? They should be able to help you find a camera that has all the bells and whistles you want, and then you could comparison shop for the right camera. If Kits isn't there anymore try Best Buy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kits Cameras went out of business quite a while ago, unfortunately, and there isn't a Best Buy here. One of the curses of rural, small-town living. It would be nice to be able to compare the real thing rather than just stats online. I suppose I could wait till I go up to a bigger city in the spring again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you looked at Wasum's in Clarkston? I don't know how their selection is, but they have great customer service and you can good a good hands-on feel of how they work.

    ReplyDelete