Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Knitting the Ravl'd Sleeve

Baby Bear, who turned six weeks old yesterday, has begun sleeping more and more at night, which means Mommy also has begun sleeping more and more at night. The old adage to sleep when the baby sleeps doesn't work very well when there exist two additional Goombas, a dog, a hubby, a part-time job and of course, Facebook. So I have been sleeping when the baby sleeps between the hours of 1:30 AM and 4:00AM. Or something like that.

Last night, though, he slept from 11:30 to 5:30! I felt like an entirely new person when I woke up; the sun was rising and it seemed like the beginning of the world. I wanted to give Baby Bear a medal.

Of course I know the sleepless nights only last for a season. And my body has adjusted from the train-wreck feeling that I had at first to only being mildly incoherent lately. Last night at 5:30 as the sky lightened outside my eastern windows, I remembered what I always loved about nighttime feedings with my other kids: the feeling of peaceful quiet, alone in the sleeping house with a warm, cuddly baby. At least, I feel that way once I get the thought out of my system that I hate being awake at, say, 5:00 in the morning. I take that thought out, examine it, and throw it away, then I can enjoy the silent solitude of holding my sleeping baby in the middle of the night.

2 comments:

  1. I understand that very well. ;) It's always a mixture of feelings of enjoying the quiet time you have to be with this little creature who won't be little much longer- and the pain of the sleepy feelings that come day after day! Good for Baby Bear for allowing Mommy a little more sleep at night! Hope he keeps it up for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I took remember that feeling. I sometimes fell asleep nursing, so it wasn't always so bad even as far as the sleep goes. I'd catch little snoozes here and there sitting down to nurse the baby. I realize that's a little more difficult when you have to bottle feed, but I am sure the cuddly feeling is very much the same!

    ReplyDelete