Saturday, November 14, 2009

Friends Party

Three weeks ago, near Little Mister's birthday, we partied with family, inviting aunts, uncles and grandparents to celebrate both kids' birthdays at my parents' house down in L-town. Now, close to Curly Miss's actual birthday we did a combined "friends party" at the local arcade here in town.

b100_0541

Initially I was nervous since the last time I tried to do a friend/kid party it was a fiasco. Out of the twenty kids I invited, only three showed up. This time I tried to strike preemptively, sending an email around to find out when people had free time in their schedules. This is a busy time of year.

b100_0559

We also chose the arcade at the local mall, my reasoning being that if nobody showed up at least our kids would have a good time. I sent out invitations and hoped for the best.

b100_0568

To my great delight, several families in our circle of friends replied positively that they were coming. Some of the kids' closest friends would join them and I was thrilled. I bought plates and napkins and a balloon, as well as four rolls of quarters, to the amusement of the girl at the bank who asked if I was planning a trip to the laundromat.

b100_0562

At last the big day came. Mom and Sis made two cakes, shaped like Lightning McQueen and Mater, to my kids' happy surprise. Curly picked out apple juice for the drink du jour and we got things set up.

b100_0571

Twelve happy kids played games, jumped in the ball pit, played air hockey, ate cake and exclaimed over the presents. The greatest gift to Curly was just the time with her friends. Her extrovert cup overfloweth.

b100_0556

Parents stood around and chatted; babies smiled. My brother-in-law shot zombies. I think my husband did too, although he held Baby Bear a lot of the time, so his zombie-shooting was a bit limited.

b100_0575

This afternoon, two happy, tired kids came home from the mall, loaded with new toys and stories of times with friends and games they had conquered. I'd have to say, this was the best birthday party yet.

2 comments:

  1. Fun! The little girl that Curly Miss is hugging in the one picture looks like a younger version of Kyrie. The cakes turned out really cute! Your mom and sis did a great job! We used those same candles on Isaiah's cake last year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how fun! So you have a couple of November babies as well? Jeremiah's birthday was on the 11th, Veteran's Day, which he thinks is totally cool. Angela's was on the 1st. We took them out to dinner. Couldn't really afford to do a birthday party. Even the simple one's add up rather quickly and at this age combined birthday's really don't work. One wants ponies and the other one so doesn't. I'm sure you can guess which one that would be. Actually it's been a couple of years since the ponies, but Angela definitely does not want a bunch of 10 and 11 year old boys around for her birthday! Anymore than Jeremiah wants a bunch of 8 and 9 year old girls for his! So, we just did a family dinner. Chloe's birthday was in August. She's gotten a pool party two years in a row, which Jeremiah and Angela think is totally unfair, cause even when they were younger and we did the big parties they never got anything as cool as the Aquatic Center. I told them it's a little difficult to do that in November and I don't think they would enjoy the water in November!

    ReplyDelete