Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Basics of Life

As any new parent can attest, sleeping and eating suddenly become priorities in a way they never were before the baby came. Baby Bear, while he slept really well the first three nights, has now decided that night is playtime and day is sleep-time. I don't know what I would do without Hubby who cheerfully takes his turn feeding, holding and bouncing the baby while I catch a few ZZZs.

The other thing keeping us afloat are the daily meals provided by our wonderful church family. I don't know how I would find the time or energy to cook or grocery shop, but I can relax and allow a steady stream of amazing meals to come through my door and onto my table. Chicken Marsala, Beef Enchiladas, Roast chicken and apple tart... these people are not only excellent cooks but generous with helpings! Each meal gets leftovers put into my freezer, ensuring that we will have food not only for two weeks, but significantly beyond.



As the book of James says, this is true religion. What good does the gospel do if a person is hungry or cold? In our case, sleep deprived or exhausted? And for the first time, we are attending a church that spends just as much time taking care of its own members as it does reaching out to the "lost" or the "people who don't go to our church." It's odd how I have always felt as though once you join a church you suddenly don't matter any more and all the money and energy goes elsewhere. Now, don't get me wrong. I am all about ministry, but it seems to me that taking care of our own church family first means the members are supported enough to be able to actually minister to others. At least it's the way things seem to be working here. Members don't minster because it's cool or because they are forced or because they ought to, they minister because they themselves receive ministry and they know what a difference it makes in their lives. So cool!

3 comments:

  1. I think that IS really cool that you are getting blesssed by the members of your church. While I feel that our previous church dropped the ball in a lot of areas, there were several people that did help us when we needed it(besides the wonderful help that we received from you, of course). I did miss out on meals brought to us when we brought our babies home, but they were there for other things that were important.

    Anyway, now that we'll probably be coming back in December, I'm thinking of finding another church. I'd like to find one with a good kids' program like the one we've found up here.

    I would say nap when the baby naps, but that might be hard if Curly and Little Mister aren't napping at the same time. I'll be praying for some extra meaningful sleep for you guys. As much as I miss the newborn phase, I don't miss the sleepless nights!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is what I loved about our church too! We finally got to receive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so wonderful that you've found such a supportive and loving church. Those are really hard to find these days!

    ReplyDelete