Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Warm Milk

It's funny how life's little things come into sharp focus sometimes. As our town floods with new college students I began thinking of the time when my little birds will fly the nest and head to college. I started thinking about how much I'll miss them, which is silly because they are only 4 and 2 so it's going to be a nice, long time before it actually happens.

Anyway, one of the things I'm going to miss when my children grow up is giving them warm milk at bedtime. Tonight we got home from a long drive and both kids are absolutely exhausted. Poor Little Mister was wandering around laying his head on the floor and resting for a few minutes as we were putting his jammies on. (He did miss his nap. We were in C d'A, which is a story for another day.)

But I got him his warm milk and tucked him into bed. It was one of those moments when I delight in being a Mommy. Those magical moments when I can tuck a tired little boy into his bed with some warm milk in his tummy and all is right with the world. When I can hug my little girl standing in the kitchen while she is drinking her cup of warm milk.

It's a little hard to explain; if you aren't a mother you might be scratching your head and if you are one I don't need to say anything more. A lot of times as a mom I have those manic moments when I need a nice loony bin to live in, but these warm milk moments more than make up.

No comments:

Post a Comment