Thursday, August 27, 2009

Suncatchers

As a little girl I remember going to my grandparents' house for visits. We'd drive for several hours and sitting in the back seat of the car I invariably felt carsick so when we pulled into the driveway of the house on East Larch Street, the feeling of relief that swept me somehow attached itself in my memory to Grandma and Grandpa's house. We would walk up to the wooden front door with its funny bronze knocker and wait until it opened with Grandpa, full of smiles and hard hugs that squeezed the breath out of me. There was Grandma, not far behind with her soft brown curls and pink lipstick, smiling her welcome. There was always a dog, pushing forward with licking tongue and wagging tail.

And there were the suncatchers. As soon as we entered Grandma and Grandpa's house we were covered with rainbows as the slanting sun poured in the west window which was hung with crystal prisms. With the breeze of our entering they swayed and the rainbows skittered and danced across the brown carpet. With the homey smell and feeling of love I associate with memories of Grandma and Grandpa's house comes the memory of the rainbows that danced across the walls and the carpet.



After watching the kids catching rainbows the other day, I remembered those suncatchers in Grandma's windows and wondered if I could find some for our house. After a quick google and some online shopping, I found some for sale on Amazon and ordered two.



They arrived in the mail today and we hung them in the dining room window where the morning sun carpets the floor in brilliance. Now on our walls the rainbows dance and skitter and the children chase them laughing, trying to capture them in their hands just as I used to do at Grandma's house.

1 comment:

  1. Sweet! Reminds me of Pollyanna and the sun catchers in that movie. My kids like catching the rainbows at the club's pool. There's a glass fence above the pool that has prism edges and it reflects on the ground by the pool. Fun times!

    ReplyDelete