Thursday, July 9, 2009

The Promise of Things to Come



Around the side of our garage (which, by the way, has a lovely new coat of paint on the door, thanks to Hubby) there exists a plot of growing things that last year I assumed were weeds. I think I remember having them weed-wacked at some point. They look quite wild as if they were trying to take over the alley.



This year I'm not so quick to worry about weeds and I let the bushes run wild. They've grown in happy abandonment all spring and yesterday I made a surprising discovery. I'm sure you gardener-types are rolling your eyes at me right about now, but I honestly had no idea we had raspberry bushes right there beside our garage.



A hint of red was enough to show that we do and the berries are beginning to get ripe. I picked about twenty ripe ones today, enough to make a couple of mouthfuls. Green berries also abound, letting me know that we can expect a juicy harvest all summer long.



These green plums hang on a tree in our front yard. A neighbor, who happens to go to our church approached us the first weekend we moved into this house last year, and after a hasty "Welcome to the neighborhood," informed us that the previous owners of our house and plum tree had always given him a bucket of plums and would we be willing to do the same?

I told him I didn't even like plums and he was welcome to the whole tree if he would come pick them. Last year he hiked down the street with a ladder and his teenaged son to do just that. More power to him.



In one of my garden barrels I planted tomatoes and peppers this year. I'm not a big tomato fan, but fresh, homemade salsa is hard to beat, so I made that my goal this year. From the four tomato plants in the barrel, I might just get enough produce to make one jar of salsa. I'm not exactly going into the business. But like I said, I'm not a tomato fan.



The other barrel holds lettuce and chard, providing us with fresh baby greens every few days. I think I may yet convert to a gardener, although I still don't feel like I know what I'm doing and the thought of a field covered with rows and rows of green beans gives me ulcers. On second thought maybe I'll stick with my wild raspberry bushes and my four tomatoes.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice! What a nice surprise to find a raspberry bush! I love raspberries!

    ReplyDelete