Friday, July 10, 2009

Grocery Experiment

Although I hate to blog about anything so mundane as groceries, I just got back from a big trip and that's what's on my mind. We bought $200 worth of carefully selected groceries designed to last for the next two-plus weeks. I know the fresh produce won't last that long but I got enough canned and frozen stuff it should fill in the gaps. I don't think we have ever tried going two whole weeks without one store trip, but this week we have made a solemn vow to buy nothing more than a couple of jugs of milk for two entire weeks. We will save money or die trying.

Our biggest problem in grocery frugality is waste. We don't eat leftovers and things go bad. This week Hubby and I promised one another we would redouble our efforts to eat things before they get moldy in the back of the fridge. We also tried not to buy anything weird that won't get eaten. Why do cans of beets look so appealing on store shelves and so unattractive in my pantry? I forced myself not to get any beets. Now at home I'm congratulating myself on a beet-free shopping experience.

But we're going to have fajitas, Mandarin chicken, stroganoff, spaghetti, soups, stews, salads, sandwiches, burritos, nachos, and cereal. We even got some cheap hot dogs for use in Dog Whispering as I train Stitch not to bounce on Mister or walk off down the road with Curly. I have big plans.

So Hubby is happily stowing cans of peaches and listening to elevator Jazz (!) and I'm imagining all the meals I'll fix in the next two weeks. At times like these, with all the fresh ingredients I can almost pretend I like to cook.

2 comments:

  1. I just did the same (but only for a week). I used to plan meals, and then buy the necessary ingredients, but I got away from that. Now I have 6 planned meals and all the stuff to make them. The only scary thing is that they are all new recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No beats. Nope none. And no yummy chocolate bars either. Nuh huh.

    Also, Miles Davis is not elevator Jazz!!! Well, maybe eschalator Jazz at times... Mine-shaft bucket, rope, pully and counterweight jazz. That's it.

    ReplyDelete