Monday, November 24, 2008

Why are you adopting?

GGGAAAHHHH!!!!! If one more person asks me that question, I am seriously going to throw something at them. Nobody goes around to pregnant women and asks them, "Why are you having a baby?"

Is there some terrible reason for adopting that people are trying to ferret out of me? Don't people adopt for the same reason they get pregnant? BECAUSE THEY WANT A KID!!!! Like what is so weird about this people?

I guess with pregnancy a lot of times it is an "oops" and people tacitly acknowledge the fact that "these things happen". Well, not with adoption! There's no "Oops, things got a little wild the other night and whoa! Looks like we've adopted a kid!" Nope. You have to REALLY WANT this kid. Adoption is never an accident.

Also, why do people give me the hairy eyeball when I say I have two bio kids and I am now adopting? Because I can *technically* have more bio kids, I should save the adoptable babies for couples who are infertile? Geesh! There are plenty of babies to go around, folks! Lots of babies need homes. And no, I am not doing this out of some altruistic, save-the-world syndrome. We just thought adopting would be a good idea.

ARG.


Rant over.

7 comments:

  1. Can I get an A-yah-men!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, you made me laugh out loud! I get the "are they all brothers" question and I'm like "yes". Oh, you mean bio brothers? I know what they mean though and I always say they are brothers but not all bio brothers. People ask me the "why did you adopt" question all the time too. I so hear ya friend! Now, as an adoptive mom you will get the blessed opportunity to educate the world! They never tell you that in the homestudy process!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love your attitude! Can I be like you when I grow up?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sucks. I don't know why people are so intrusive sometimes. Why does it even matter? It doesn't at all. It's no ones business but yours.

    Personally, I think everyone should at least consider adoption. I think it's amazingly awesome. I understand your motivation is not to save the world, but doesn't it feel good doing it anyway? Cause I think you are. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I would say something like, "I am an adult. I don't explain my decisions, justify them or anything. Espcially to random people."

    Oh yeah, yeah...My mom used to get asked why she had "so many" kids. I remember people making jokes, too. For example, "There are ways to prevent that." Yikes! No one's business!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you are doing a great thing, and it doesn't really matter why you are adopting. It's the best thing for your family. God is calling you to do this, and I think you'll be great at it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that is pretty ugly that you would encounter that type of reaction! I can say I've never really even considered what adoptive parents may go through in the face of the world of preconceived notions!

    I wish you the very best!

    ReplyDelete