Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Election Comment and a Cool Story

Although I didn't vote for him but for his opponent, I am actually pretty excited to have Obama as our future president. For the first time in American history we have elected a Black president and he will take office the same year as our little munchkin is born. I think that is amazing and wonderful (although it would be nice if he was more conservative!!!) and he will be a terrfic role model to all the "brown children" out there who wonder what their lives will look like when they are grown-up. Never more will they need to say, "I could never be President." The future is opening up and I rejoice to see it!



Today we went to the Idaho Department of Health and Welfare to have our fingerprints recorded. I have to say I was not much looking forward to the visit. This is the fifth time I have had it done and it's always a hassle.

But I encountered a pleasant surprise. As the trendy blonde caseworker read through the list of questions, she confirmed the reason for being printed. When she saw that it was adoption, she immediately burst out, "Oh, that is my favorite reason!" Later, walking out of her office, I was offered a sincere congratulation by her and well wishes for our baby.

To say I was thrilled is an understatement. Finally I feel like I did when I was pregnant and went to the OB/GYN to discover that she would fuss over me and offer congratulations. It has been much harder than I realized to not have a baby bump. I buy baby clothes and wonder if the checker will give me a strange look. Pregnant women around me include each other in chummy conversations about due dates and I want to shout at them, "I am going to have one too!!!" I miss that unspoken knowledge and the soft smiles that people gave when when my tummy showed.

But then I just remind myself to be patient. It will not be long that our own little angel will be here and then no one will have any doubt. I will buy baby clothes and instead of a raised eyebrow I will get the soft smiles. I can't wait!

Until then, I will bask in the warmth of today's caseworker's congratulations to me. I doubt she will have any idea how much she blessed me today but I hope that every adoptive mother she sees feels just as warm as I do.

Photo Credit

1 comment:

  1. I remember when we went to get our finger prints done, the guy was very gruff and just kind of shuffled us in and sat us down and skimmed our paperwork saying "yada yada yada" (seriously) and said "it could take up to 6 weeks for the results... yada yada yada" then he got to the reason part and perked up and said "oh Fostering! In that case I'll process your prints this week. We need more people in the world like you folks!" It was neat but looking back it makes me sad that he treats others rudely just because their job may require prints or because they've done some wrong.

    ReplyDelete