Tuesday, October 28, 2008

A Stay-at-home Day

Today is one of those delightful Tuesdays where we have nowhere to go and no plans whatsoever. The kids have been watching Cars and playing with the new toys showered on them for Little Mister's birthday last weekend.



I have been treating myself to a book, The Story of the Trapp Family Singers, the book that inspired the play and movie, The Sound of Music. It's an interesting read, different in detail and spirit than the story in the musical but just as dramatic.

Our seemingly idyllic morning at home, however, in reality doesn't measure up to the contented introverts whose blogs I read. These families seem to treasure a morning at home and delight in one another's company, especially the homeschoolers. In my mind was a happy imitation of this sentiment in our own house: the kids playing quietly together, me doing little housewifely chores and improving my mind with the perusal of a book.

Instead, I read myself into a lovely headache, my son has disrobed and is running around nude and my daughter has asked me about 47 times if we can PLEASE go somewhere. I realize that she actually does love us; she and her brother are quite attached and have been taught to be polite to one another. It's just that she requires a little more action than we seem to provide.

I think for my next idyllic morning I need to buy a book on tape and plan to take her to the playground. To each their own, I guess.

1 comment:

  1. Apparently I'm not an idyllic homeschooler, nor my "students" either. Because they welcome ANY chance to leave the house. You are not alone. -Jilann

    ReplyDelete