Sunday, October 5, 2008

Candles In My Windows

When driving around town at night I have always admired houses who put candles in their windows; it gives a house such a welcoming feeling of homeyness. When we moved into Kindlewick I immediately thought that this was a house that looked like it needed candles in the windows. Unfortunately back in May I could not find any.



Now the Christmas season is approaching and electric candles are beginning to make an appearance. I have seen several in stores here and there. At last, I found some at Bed, Bath and Beyond that were exactly what I was looking for. They were not battery operated but each had a cord and plug. Not only that, but they were equipped with an electronic sensor so they turn on automatically at night. Perfect!



I put one in each front window. Now our house has lovely candlelight shining out in the darkness which is coming ever earlier. Best of all, I don't have to remember to turn them all on!

8 comments:

  1. In Irish tradition (my family is Irish), the candle in the window signifies that there is room in your home for Jesus and that he is welcome there. No lights meant on the night they were searching for shelter to birth the Savior, there was no room there.

    Nice! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice touch......I might have to switch from using real candles. Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool! I didn't know that tradition but it rings true here. Jesus is welcome in our house and I guess if we have six candles here He is six times welcome! What a beautiful tradition and it is even more meaningful to me now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm, real candles would be great, as long as I didn't light the curtains on fire... Well, these are lazier. Is that better?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im going to have to get me some of those for christmas! I love the look!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your house is so "New England" now. Living in New Hampshire when the holiday's came many, many houses had those candles lit in the window. You've got some East Coast going on right in lovely Idaho! I think it is breathtaking and if I have a house that has that many windows I too will make sure my window's are full of light!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm quitting my job and moving to Moscow to be the Kindlewik Cottage Candle Observer. I'm sure your daughte will share her sleeping porch with me, right? ;)
    BEAUTIFUL!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The candles look great Erin!
    Kelley

    ReplyDelete