Sunday, October 26, 2008

Bittersweet Autumn



Today I walked through crackling leaves
where sidewalks softly meet the street,
the tears let fall by birch and oak
were swishing 'round my striding feet.

The sunlight, filtered less each day
as every tree becomes more bare;
but even with the lack of shade
it hardly seems to warm the air.

I feel it more each passing day
the sullen winter soon to come
when cold outside shall keep me in
and I shall surely tire of home.

Autumn tastes both sad and sweet;
the lovely brilliant days so mild
yet now I cannot welcome it
when winter is its homely child.

~whistlererin

1 comment:

  1. Did you write that? Wow. I'm impressed. I absolutely love, love, love the fall. It's my favorite season of transformation, of comfort of refocus of energy of life and of color!

    Get a beautiful fuzzy warm sweater adn light your fireplace - that will surely warm your insides and ward off the doom of winter! :)

    ReplyDelete