Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Stocking Up

We sold a trailer yesterday that we owned for a couple of years. Not a trailer-home-house as Natta puts it but a little converted pickup bed. We couldn't tow it and never used it so off it went.

With part of the cash my ambition was to lay in an extra stock of groceries. I have to admit the current state of the economy was part of my motivation. I'm not really afraid that everything will collapse, of course. But hearing about the gas shortages in the South in the wake of Hurricane Ike really had me thinking that something alarming could happen here too without warning. Plus with winter coming it's always good to have some extras.

Hubby, I think, was purely humoring me. We live four blocks from a grocery store, for crying out loud. Every look and posture of his indicated that he thought I was being very silly but he didn't actually come out and say it. After all people went crazy preparing for Y2K and nothing happened. I tried not to care; after all I have been right before and he has been grateful for my silliness.

It was with alacrity, therefore, that I pushed my cart around the grocery store picking up staples like flour and sugar and canned goods. I figured I could feed my family for several weeks in a pinch and it was all food I'll use anyway. I got several kinds of soup, a bag of potatoes and cans of chicken. I bought baking powder and yeast and salt. I felt exactly like the pioneers laying in provisions for their long trip across the wide plains in flimsy canvas-covered wagons, walking behind the slow oxen.

My in-laws who live on a farm 20 minutes from the nearest small town, take this lifestyle as a matter of course. They have an entire basement filled with cans and jars. For us, living in tiny trailers for the past five years, we have never before had the space to stock up on food or other supplies. I have to say it feels good. I'm not sure what is in my farmer blood and ancestry that gives me so much satisfaction to know that I have extra food and firewood, to know that even in the worst storm or crisis I can keep my family warm and fed for quite some time, but it does and I am quite happy with it.

The trick now is to actually remember to use the food that now lives in our basement storage room. Otherwise we'll end up looking like my Grandpa's house where there resided cans of peaches from 1954. I can only imagine what good those would do in a crisis.

No comments:

Post a Comment