Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Divide and Conquer

I hate laundry. My husband hates laundry. Everyone I know hates laundry. People blog about hating laundry. It's un-American not to hate laundry.

Our laundry gets clean with no problem. We use the washer as our communal laundry basket. When it's full, we run it. The problem is the clean stuff. It multiplies, procreates, breeds... load after load, item after item, dryer sheet after wrinkled dryer sheet. I sorted, folded and put away laundry this morning and counted at least ten dryer sheets. Yuck. Suddenly this kind of overwhelming existence was no longer acceptable to me. No longer will clean laundry get the better of me and my family.

I went into Crazy Organizational Mode, loaded the kids into the car and headed to Wal-Mart. If you're ever at Wal-Mart when I am in CO Mode, watch out. I have the focus of a NASCAR driver. Muttering to myself things like "One for Natta's jammies" I bought nine lined baskets and a cloth triple bin. Still in CO Mode, I went home and attacked my laundry room. I moved all the cleaning supplies, wiped the shelves clean and set up my baskets. Assembling the bin did not take long and soon my system was in place.

Now it will be possible to successfully ignore ten SORTED loads of laundry rather than a huge ambiguous pile in the corner of my bedroom. Each basket is labeled with a family member's name and the item of clothing that is supposed to go in it, paving the way for confrontational drama with Hubby when he absentmindedly puts Mister's Nemo jammies in the bin labeled "Her Underwear". Our lives will never be the same.

Stay tuned. I plan to post pictures when I get around to taking some. Your life, too, will never be the same.

********************
Edited:





10 comments:

  1. Ha. You're my hero. Laundry around here is a pain, too. I don't mind putting the clothes in the washer and dryer, but folding them and sorting them into their prospective places are always my downturn.

    I've also been trying to get into super organizational mode, and we've been buying lots of bins to try to organize things, but I can't totally get there yet. It's not fair that Mark decides to rearrange the house when I'm trying to get a good start on homeschooling. :P Oh, well. Hopefully by the end of the year, things will be in their places, right?

    Good luck to you! Looking forward to seeing pictures! Maybe that will inspire me some more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have any strong feelings about laundry either way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And just exactly how often do you do laundry? :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Probably just slightly less than half the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erin...I loooove laundry....I even like ironing...yup, a wee bit strange, I know. Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Labeled laundry bins, huh? Have you been watching "Jon and Kate plus 8?" LOL Our laundry room is somewhat on the small side and that bugs me sometimes, especially when Adam decides to dump every article of clothing he owns in front of the washer at once and I have to crawl over it to get to the other side of the room. Then I remember that the bigger the laundry room is, the more a person (at least when that person is ME) tends to let the laundry pile up. At least a small room presents a need to shovel a path to the dryer at least a couple times a week, and that means we all have clean underwear on a regular basis. THAT is a very good thing! LOL

    Good luck with your new system!!! :0)
    Becky T.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do laundry all in one day. I hate doing a load here and there b/c it feelis like I am never done (but really, laundry is never done, unless you are walking around naked, and Im too modest for that! :) ) I don't mind doing laundry, but i HATE putting it away.

    I do it all on Mondays, b/c I don't like Monday's anyway, so might as well make them really bad!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Uhmmm, you're Canadian, right? Do you think that might have something to do with it? *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well you are my hero...I have like FIVE loads of kids clothes to fold today... So, the laundry isn't SO bad it's the ironing I hate and I always have a lot becuase of Matt's job (dress clothes). I never learn my lesson either...pull out the clothes right away and fold them or shake them out and hang them and you have WAY LESS WORK!! I know that!! I do!!! Sigh... I do it most of the time but then I get lazy and I have deep set in wrinkles...darn my personality!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never iron! It just is one of those things we never do. Hubby buys no-iron shirts and then before he wears them he mists them and tosses them in the dryer for ten minutes. They always come out wrinkle free, you just don't get the crisp crease in the sleeve. He says he doesn't care so I don't worry about it!

    The only time I get the iron out is when I sew, lol.

    So much for being heroic, more like a slacker! Hey, I'm all for time-saving shortcuts...

    ReplyDelete